Did you know there is an official day designated for cream cheese brownies? It's true! February 10th marks the day of the cream cheese brownie - so I only thought it appropriate to my my personal favorite version of the cream cheese brownie: black bottoms!
While probably more of a muffin than a brownie, I still wanted to fancy up my black bottoms so I baked them in an assortment of different things, including some miniature mason jars I had laying around.
I grew up with black bottoms cooked in aluminum muffin tins, but feel free to spread it out in a cake pan if you are trying to really make brownies, and not individual cupcakes. However you decide to bake your black bottoms, they are still guaranteed to be delicious.
There's a secret ingredient in these black bottoms: white vinegar. Vinegar adds a sweet tang that's so indicative of black bottoms. The rest of the ingredients are pretty straight forward for baking: flour, oil, eggs, white sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, chocolate chips, and of course cream cheese.
In one bowl mix the cream cheese, sugar, egg and chocolate chips. In another, larger bowl, stir together the other ingredients until a smooth batter forms.
Fill up lined muffin tins, or mini mason jars, about two thirds of the way full. Spoon about a tablespoon of the chocolate chips and cream cheese into the center of each muffin.
Bake until the batter has risen around the cream cheese and springs back when pressed upon.
Black bottoms are a great way to tell someone you think they are sweet - so serve them to your sweetie and have a wonderful Valentine's Day!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Makes ~ 2 dozen black bottom cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ C sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅛ t salt
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, stir together the cream cheese, egg, sugar, chocolate chips and salt until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, vegetable oil, water, vinegar, vanilla and salt.
- Line a muffin tin with paper or aluminum cups. Fill each cup about 2/3 full with the chocolate batter. Add about one tablespoon of the cream cheese mix into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the chocolate batter has risen around the cream cheese filling. Let the cupcakes cool for best results. Serve room temperature or chilled, and enjoy with your sweetheart <3.